Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Social Dancing: 11/18 Edition - Outs & Ins

In Friday night's lindy class we spent most of the time learning a new turn. I have no idea what it's called, but it would start like I was turning towards my left, but turned into a direction change and I actually turn to the right. We practiced feeling a good connection with our leads to really feel that direction change and a lot of focus on engaging the core. Right now it's one of those things that I really have to focus on to remember to do it, but when I do engage those muscles it sure makes a world of a difference! I'm also realizing that I really need to keep an eye on my feet, as since starting balboa I'm putting too much of my weight on the balls of my feet when doing lindy now. Not a good habit to have.

Friday was week 3 of classes since there were only two of us in the class, we completed the normal four weeks worth of class material in just over two weeks. Bonus of having a small class! So we spent a little time reviewing everything we'd learn to date, plus the basics of outs and ins, which they don't normally teach in the level one class. The whole concept of outs and ins is pretty simple, but I have trouble doing it more than a couple times or to a faster tempo without my feet getting all flustered. Plus I have a little bit of trouble focusing on my upper body since the footwork isn't quite natural yet. Whenever I have a moment and I remember I'm practicing the footwork at home and at work; gotta make it a natural habit!

As far as social dancing I was able to stay a couple hours which I was excited for. I had a good time and had some good dances. One guy and I were doing lindy and decided to go into bal, which I was able to do decently considering I didn't see it coming at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment